Thursday 3 February 2011

Washed the tunnel and sowed some seeds

A warmer day than of late so I had to make use of it. My back is bad (inflamed lumbosacral joint giving me sciatica!) so I can't do real gardening. But the polytunnel needed its annual wash so I got on with that today. I use my Vileda mop with e-cloth mop end, so that I don't need soap (.... or worse!) I gave it a good scrub inside and out and it looks much better now, and there is a lot more light getting to the inside.

Then I felt the urge to actually grow something....so I got on with some seed sowing. These are what I have started off so far.....
In containers in the tunnel....Carrots.."Early French Frame", "Early Nantes" and some Suttons Baby Carrot Type, "Ideal". These are in large containers on the bench.
In Row Planters........ Very Dwarf Early Pea "Oskar" and
....Misticanza...a 4 salad mix from Franchi
In modules...Beetroot "Chioggia" and Beetroot "Boltardy"
In the propagator on the windowsill indoors....Aubergines "de Barbantine", "Black Beauty" and "Violetta di Firenze". The last two are old seed so I might get nothing from them
Also in the propagator....Herb "Summer Savory".
In small pots to be transplanted later.... Cabbages, "Portuguese", "Offenham Flower of Spring", and "Earliest of All". Also some "Cima di Rapa"
I have set some Broad Bean seeds to soak.

I've had enough now, so I will sit and read my new "Kitchen Garden" magazine...
I used to think that I couldn't actually do any more damage to my back (broke it in 1984) and that I should ignore the pain. But it has been so sore lately that I went to the osteopath. He has given me a good telling-off, and so I must respect that and not do the heavy stuff for a while. It hurts too much anyway!

5 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear your in pain with your back :( I do hope you start feeling more comfortable soon.

    You have been busy with your sowing! I would love a polytunnel but they seem ever so expensive. Enjoy yours and happy growing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your good wishes. I am trying to get over it as fast as possible, but it is worse than ever this morning.
    My polytunnel was a couple of years Anniversary presents in one! I think it was about £700 from Solar Tunnels. The cover is still good although they do say 7 years is average before renewing. I think it'll go awhile yet.
    Where we used to live I had glasshouses.......much more money....and much less room! This felt like a compromise when we moved, but I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a relative newcomer to the joys of sciatica, having just suffered a month of it. Makes a pleasant change from the arthritis though, and was a good excuse not to do any digging in the cold weather. Sciatica gone away now, which is more than I can say for the bl**dy digging however. I need plough!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good to hear that you have got over it. Hope for me then!
    It is so frustrating not to be able to get on outside....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi

    Just come across your blog and was really pleased as I have just brought a polytunnel. It wasn't too expensive (its off of ebay) but is smaller than yours.

    As a polytunnel newbie I am going to follow your planting with interest.

    ReplyDelete